Did the halo save Charles Leclerc in dramatic Belgian GP crash?

Mclaren driver Fernando Alonso of Spain top goes over the top of Sauber driver Charles Leclerc of Monaco as they are involved in a crash at the start of the Belgian Formula One Grand Prix in Spa-Francorchamps Belgium Sunday Aug. 26 20

Hamilton, last year's victor in Belgium, again started from pole position after a wet qualifying race but his Mercedes could not match the German's pace in the dry and he had to settle for second. The accident also caused damage to Daniel Ricciardo's Red Bull, which, in a chain reaction, hit Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari.

Hulkenberg triggered a terrifying crash at the first corner of the Belgian Grand Prix after colliding with the rear of Fernando Alonso's vehicle, which was then launched over the back of Charles Leclerc's Sauber. "It's just incredible to find out again on lap one how sensitive these cars are with aerodynamics, when you have a few cars that bunch up in front of you how much grip and load you lose".

Television close-ups after the race showed the structure heavily marked by the impact.

Former F1 champion Nico Rosberg tweeted: "We can end the HALO discussion now". They adjudged Hulkenberg as the guilty party and handed him a 10-place grid penalty.

"I felt the impact and looking at the image it is quite spectacular".

Hulkenberg...said: "I misjudged my braking point a little bit and there was no real time to recover it". He came with a speed that you don't come even in qualifying laps.

Last Sunday, IndyCar driver Robert Wickens suffered a spinal cord injury in a crash at Pocono Raceway in Pennsylvania.

Manafort juror on a potential pardon: 'It would be grave mistake'
He was found guilty Tuesday of five tax fraud charges, one charge of hiding foreign bank accounts and two counts of bank fraud. A judge has ordered Mueller's team to notify the court by next Wednesday if a retrial is planned on the 10 counts in Virginia.

Christian Horner: This is when Daniel Ricciardo chose to leave Red Bull
Red Bull subsequently promoted Pierre Gasly from their sister team, Toro Rosso , to partner Max Verstappen next term. Ricciardo's sudden refusal of a new deal left Red Bull scrambling for a new driver for next season.

Legendary Broadway playwright Neil Simon dead at age 91
Neil was well known for so many plays and won Tony Awards for The Odd Couple , Biloxi Blues , and Lost in Yonkers . There's a Broadway theater named for him; he was the only living person to have received such recognition.

"I think on the positive side we are all fine - especially Charles, because I flew over his vehicle".

"I have never been a fan of the Halo, but I have to say that I was very happy to have it over my head today", Leclerc said.

Spanish driver Alonso also credited the system with saving the Sauber driver, saying: "I saw the replay and how good was the proof for the halo".

Hamilton described it as "the worst-looking modification" in the sport's history, but changed his mind following a subsequent safety demonstration.

"We've already had a cursory examination of the parts", he said.

He ended the critical lap 1.5secs behind, after which the race settled into a familiar pattern, with Vettel building a comfortable lead of about five seconds or so and holding it there, and Verstappen equally safe in third almost 30 seconds behind. "I'll accept it and move on", he said.

"As soon as I was ahead I relaxed". I am forever finding out how sensitive these cars are.

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top White House flags back at full-staff after McCain's death
Aug 28, 2018 - 01:02
But the President has the authority to order a longer period of mourning. The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Floods Hit Big Island As Other Parts Of Hawaii Brace For Hurricane
Aug 27, 2018 - 04:36
According to NWS, only four named storms have made landfall in Hawaii since 1959 - and only two of those storms were hurricanes. As of 11am Hawaii time (3am AEST on Saturday), Lane was moving north at 8km/h and was about 245km south of Honolulu on Oahu.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Late own goal gives Chelsea victory
Aug 27, 2018 - 04:16
Eden Hazard's goal was his 70th for Chelsea in the Premier League , overtaking Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in third (69). If I have five defenders I immediately lose metres on the pitch, I tried it five years ago but it's not my way.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Vettel says 'smooth race' shows Ferrari has taken a step forward
Aug 27, 2018 - 02:42
I went off twice but I'm so glad I managed to keep it together for that last lap". But Hamilton sounded confused why Mercedes is slower than Ferrari .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Trump Organization CFO granted immunity in Cohen investigation
Aug 27, 2018 - 01:42
Cohen, who pleaded guilty to federal campaign finance charges, did no legal work in connection with the matter, prosecutors said. In addition to the two counts of violating campaign finance laws, Cohen also has pled guilty to six counts of fraud.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top No long-term health effects as wildfire smoke lingers government reassures
Aug 26, 2018 - 14:31
The Shovel Lake fire is considered to be the highest-priority of the more than 560 wildfires burning in B.C.as of Tuesday morning. The air in the Custer/Lynden area remained " unhealthy " into the afternoon, following " hazardous " readings at 9 p.m.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Juventus vs. Lazio - Football Match Report
Aug 26, 2018 - 14:27
Ronaldo did not get on the scoresheet and will be looking to find the back of the net against Lazio on his home debut. He'll have his another shot at scoring his first official goal for the club.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Liverpool vs. Brighton live stream info, channel
Aug 26, 2018 - 14:27
Jurgen Klopp's team is looking to continue their flawless start to the season by adding a third consecutive win on Saturday afternoon when they host Brighton.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top 4-way tie for lead at Northern Trust as Woods stalls
Aug 26, 2018 - 14:14
Quote of the day: "I knew if I wanted to be at the top of the leaderboard , I'd have to take it deep today". He hit several wild tee shots in the final round at the PGA Championship in a closing 64.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Pope Francis arrives in Ireland for landmark visit
Aug 26, 2018 - 14:06
Pope Francis is due to arrive by plane at Knock at about 09:45 local time and will spend about an hour there. Wuerl has defended his record, but withdrew from a speaking role during the pope's visit to Dublin .

Michael Cohen prosecutors granted immunity to publisher David Pecker
Aug 26, 2018 - 13:53
A person familiar with the Trump Organization said Cohen explained the $130,000 expense as a settlement "of a personal nature". Weisselberg is a bookkeeper who simply carries out directions from others about monetary payments and transfers, " he said.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Chelsea Manager Maurizio Sarri Gives Update On Future Of Eden Hazard
Aug 26, 2018 - 13:48
From playing a 3-4-3 formation under previous manager Antonio Conte , Chelsea are now deploying in a 4-3-3 formation under Sarri . A return for Hazard in the starting XI could be on the cards for Sunday.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Third West Nile Virus Case Confirmed In Bay County
Aug 25, 2018 - 01:06
Some tips include: draining standing water to stop mosquitoes from multiplying and covering skin with clothes or repellent. Once in water - as little as a spoon's worth - mosquitos will go from larvae to a biting menace in a mere three days.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Scott Morrison sworn in as Australia's 30th prime minister
Aug 25, 2018 - 00:44
Morrison has a reputation as a powerbroker within the Liberal Party whose support has been crucial to previous party leaders. Ousted Australian premier Malcolm Turnbull at Parliament House in Canberra, Australia , March 27, 2018.

Serena Williams’ Nike Bodysuit Is Now Banned at the French Open
Aug 25, 2018 - 00:28
Serena Williams plays a backhand during the 2018 French Open in Paris, France in June. "I feel like a superhero when I wear it". She wore the outfit at Roland Garros in May, nine months after giving birth to her daughter and nearly losing her life.